[Elphel-support] [original to: support-list at support.elphel.com] [Elphel-suppo

Andrey Filippov elphel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:08:09 PDT 2009

> I disconnected the external SATA HDD and powercycled the camera and now the
> internal HDD is not working anymore as well:

Sebastian, I asked about CF cards, but forgot to ask about internal HDD.
That was the problem if you did not reboot camera with setting SATA as IDE
slave, they both appeared as IDE masters - that caused "lost interrupts" and
other problems - both devices were responding together.

Then - you tried to write when system reported problems - that could easily
cause corruption of the data and/or partitions.

When I asked about the CF - there is another problem with some (most,
actually) CF cards that I described in the Linuxdevices article -
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Open-source-camera-records-geotagged-video-to-SATA-HDD/

Most of the CF cards do not support DMA mode even as they report it as
supported. When used with regular computers that small lie is not a big
problem as these cards support UDMA. But - Axis ETRAX has a bug in the UDMA
implementation and so UDMA does not work in the cameras. And that is true
even when the cards (w/o DMA support) are installed in an adapter and
connected to the camera as SATA SSD - adapter transparently reports the same
(actually missing) DMA functionality.